About Us

Present-day Turveys is actually an amalgamation of S.A.Turvey Ltd and Greaves & Harvey Ltd. Greaves & Harvey Ltd, retailers of household goods, was incorporated in January 1935 on Corporation St, while S.A.Turvey Ltd was founded at about the same time and traded as furriers and milliners at Moorfoot, Sheffield.

Sarah Anne Turvey, having been recently widowed  needed to make a living so took the lease on a small shop and commenced the fur trade she had learnt from her father. No sooner had she become established when war broke out and shortly after her premises were destroyed in the blitz and all her stock lost.

She was determined to carry on and by the end of the war had progressed so well she had secured the prestigious premises at 47, Fargate, Sheffield. When one considers the privations of wartime Britain, the shortage of supplies and rationing, this was an enormous achievement.

Her son, Norman (Nat to his friends) returned from the war and took over the business. In 1954 he needed a larger business to provide for a young family and aquired Greaves & Harvey Ltd which had just gone into administration.  He injected new energy into the business, adding furs, millinery and ladies fashions to a list which included furniture but also kitchens, carpets, lino, curtains, washing machines, fridges, televisions, radios, toys, prams, lawn mowers and giftware. During the late fifties and sixties Rotherham was a bustling and prosperous place and trade was good. The shop in Sheffield was closed and all efforts concentrated in Rotherham and the new small carpet shop in Mexborough. At it's height 33 staff were employed in the shops and warehouse.

Neil joined the family business in 1968 having trained elsewhere. Just a few months later in January 1969 tragedy struck, Nat died. Neil and his brother Robert implemented sweeping changes over the next 3 years, changing the business from a small department store to just furniture and carpets. This proved to be successful and Robert left to pursue his other interests.

In 1976 the former Chadwicks Builders yard was acquired and was used as a warehouse until 1989 when retail planning permission was granted and the business made it's first move out of town. This proved to be a good move and the business prospered while town centre shops struggled. Because of it's prominent position, the site, along with BAR Refrigeration next door, attracted the attention of a developer and Turveys were enticed to vacate to allow the construction of a new Lidl supermarket. Alternative premises were found on Sheffield Rd, formerly the TC Harrison Ford showrooms and workshops. These were transformed into a new furniture showroom which opened on 9th March 2001.